Tuesday, December 29, 2015

My 2015 Reading List

For years now, I've kept a record of the books I read, writing the author and title on my wall calendar and then tallying just before New Years Day. When I record them, I am often surprise by the ones that have left my memory completely--and the ones that will be stuck in my head forever. I've written about many of the books here on this blog through the year, but I still have some I want to share. I may have to add annotation to the list once it's complete.

While I lean toward literary fiction, my list includes a lot of poetry (and I feel certain there are other collections and chapbooks I've read that didn't get written down. I always keep a little poetry handy wherever I go.) Many of the books are written by North Carolina writers; many were written by authors I consider friends.

I love to see others' lists as well. I can check it against mine and then add title to my "to read" list. While I may have one more to add before midnight rolls around on Thursday, here's the list so far:

Books I Read in 2015

Shari Smith, I Am a Town
Jessie Burton, The Miniaturist
Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard, Killing Kennedy
Alan Bradley, The Chimney Sweeper Comes to Dust
Katie Crouch, Girls in Trucks
David Nichols, Us
Graeme Simsion, The Rosie Effect
N. T. Wright, Simply Good News
Maggie Shipstead, Astonish Me
Jay Erskine Leutze, Stand up That Mountain
Terri Kirby Erickson, A Lake of Light and Clouds (poetry)
Beth Ann Fennelly, Tender Hooks (poetry)
Jane Smiley, Some Luck.
Katherine Howe, The House of Velvet and Glass
Paula Hawkins, The Girl on a Train
Beth Henley, The Jacksonian (play)
M. O. Walsh, My Sunshine Away
Tony Earley, Mr. Tall
Michael Beadle, Invitation (poetry)
Maureen Corrigan, So We Read On
Dorianne Laux, Facts about the Moon (poetry)
Jeffrey Slayton, This Side of the River
Liane Moriarty, The Last Anniversary
Dimitry Elias Leger, God Loves Hairi
Sarah Addison Allen, Lost Lake
Stephen L. Carter, The Emperor of Ocean Park
Andrew Sean Greer, The Story of a Marriage
Edwidge Danticat, Breath, Eyes, Memory
Kate Atkinson, A God in Ruins
Marilynne Robinson, Lila
Rebecca McClanahan, Write Your Heart Out
Suzanne Hudson, In a Temple of Trees
Paul Acampora, I Kill the Mockingbird
Erik Larson, Dead Wake
Nick Hornby, Funny Girl
Kimberly Blum-Hyclak, In the Garden of Life and Death (poetry)
Kazuo Ishiguro, The Buried Giant
Richard Ford, Let Me Be Frank with You
Renee Knight, Disclaimer
Beth Moore, Beloved Disciple
Josh and Ryan Shook, Firsthand
Harper Lee, Go Set a Watchman
Rachel Joyce, The Love Song of Queenie Hennessy
Kate De Camilla, Because of Winn-Dixie
Roger Pinckney, Mullet Manifesto
Sharon Draper, Out of My Mind
Colum McCann, Translantic
Kent Haruf, Our Souls at Night
Kristin Hannah, The Nightingale
Celeste Ng. Everything I Never Told You
Kate Clanchy, Meeting the English
Dai Sijie, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
James Michener, The Source
Ron Rash, Above the Waterfall
Paula McLain, Circling the Sun
Lynn Anderson, They Smell Like Sheep
Nellie Hermann, The Season of Migration
Lynn Adarrio, It’s What I Do (A Photographer’s Life of Love and War)
Meg Mitchell Moore, The Admissions
Ta Nehisi Coates, The World Around Me
Joyce Maynard, Labor Day
Libby Bray, Beauty Queens
Bill Clegg, Did You Ever Have a Family?
Robert Beatty, Serafina and the Black Cloak
Joseph Bathanti, Half of What I Say Is Meaningless
Fredrik Bartak, A Man Called Ove
Louise Penny, Still Life
Austin Kleon, Steal Like an Artist
Colm Toibin, Brooklyn
Stephen King, Finders Keepers
Jojo Moyes, Me Before You
David E. Poston, Slow of Study (poetry)
Bruce Niedt, 24 x 14  (poetry)
Dannye Romine Powell, Nobody Calls Me Darling Anymore
Brant Hansen, Unoffendable
Megan Kaminski, Deep City (poetry)
Gretchen Rubin, The Happiness Project
Laurie Kolp, Hello, It’s Your Mother (poetry)
Louise Penny, A Long Way Home
David Mitchell, Slade House
Scott Owens, Thinking about the Next Big Bang n the Galaxy at the Edge of Town (poetry)
Jojo Moyes, After You
Kim van Alkemade, Orphan #8
Matthew Neill Null, Honey from the Lion
David Baldacci, The Memory Man

Kevin Powers, The Yellow Birds

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Forever Young said...

That's more than a book a week, Cuz! How do you finish that many books and do all the other stuff you do? You're amazing! Maybe if we had been "blood cousins," I would have gotten some of those fast-reading genes! I'm going to try to remember to keep track of how many books I read in 2016. Can I count the ones that I've started in 2015? Congratulations on all that reading!! Lotsa love,
Cuz