Saturday, December 6, 2008

Heard a Good Book Lately?

I used to be a one-book-at-a-time girl, but for many reasons, I now find that I balance different kinds of books. Of course, I have to be capable of the reading equivalent of multi-tasking because I have to prepare for all the different courses I teach and the reading that comes along with the job.

Now that I have my Sony eBook, I always have one book going there. I load it up (and ideally I charge it up) for travel, and I use it when I walk on the treadmill. The pages are easy to turn and the print size is adjustable.

I also keep a "real book" going all the time. You remember the kind, don't you--printed on real paper and bound together?

Since I have a little bit of a commute every day, I also absolutely must have a book on tape or CD for the car. This week I have listened to Sherman Alexie reading his own book, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. I'll admit that I haven't read Alexie before, though I've intended too. He comes highly recommended, but I just hadn't gotten to him yet. When I saw this CD set at the library, I grabbed it.

This has been one of those books I have to recommend to other people. Before I even finished it, I was telling everyone about it. Something about Arnold "Junior" Spirit, the Spokane Indian, just fascinated me. The book made me laugh out loud at times, but it also broke my heart. He tells a lot about the situation of Indians on the "res," but he also has such insight in to humans.

I can't wait to find someone else who's read the book because I'm ready to talk about it!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: