Thursday, December 18, 2008

Curled up with a Good Book

I know it sounds idyllic--curled up with a book--but I do so with a great sense of relief. I have submitted my semester grades, so now I can give myself permission to recuperate from gall bladder surgery yesterday. Although rest mode is not my natural state, I have found that the body knows when to insist. Yesterday, I fell sound asleep sitting up reading the newspaper.

If I let myself think about it, I might get concerned. I have presents to be wrapped (and even bought) before we leave for Alabama tomorrow to spend an early Christmas with the family there. I have always finished before, and I have great confidence I will do so this year. John was born on December 21st (27 years ago) and I managed to be ready for Christmas then.

At the year's end, I plan to post the list of all the books I read this year. I enjoy taking the time to transcribe the list from the wall calendar where I record them as I finish. But the year's not over yet, and I have some car time this week, so I could finish another book or two before Baby New Year arrives.

I do recommend Uncommon Reader (mentioned in my earlier blog), especially for bibliophiles. It's a slim book, a quick read, but like the Queen, I want to take notes as I read. I see myself so often. I also finished March by Geraldine Brooks. Since I was listening on CD, I listened to the end of the Afterword, and I am glad I did. She finishes with a nice apology to her husband, the Civil War buff. Now I want to re-read Little Women. Brooks put a great deal of research into the novel. In addition to a familiarity with Alcott's novel, she read about Bronson Alcott's life, Emerson, Thoreau, battle accounts, Civil War hospital records, and other works that gave her book an authenticity.

For now, I am ready to start Junot Diaz' s The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and to enjoy a cup of tea. I'll keep you posted.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: