Saturday, March 20, 2010

Summer Hunger

Don't get me wrong: I love my job. I love teaching. I love my students. I love planning lessons. I do, however, loathe grading papers. I honestly believe I could teach writing better if, instead of sitting up all hours assigning a number grade to student essays, I could spend time one-on-one discussing the particular areas of improvement needed, I would be more productive.

What does this age-old English teacher complaint have to do with reading? Everything. I am always unnerved by the number of colleagues who don't read for pleasure during the school year. I do understand, though, but I refuse to give up. I do know, though, that while I'm falling behind in my personal pleasure reading, authors continue to pen and publish even more books I want to read.

Right now I'm working in time to read The Forger's Spell, the account of the Vermeer forgery scandal perpetrated during WWII. I'm still listening to The Castle in the Forest, and when I swap cars, I'm listening to The Virgin's Lover, Philippa Gregory's story of Elizabeth I alleged love affair with Robert Dudley. In my powder room, I catch a page or two of You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning, another laugh-out-loud offering from Celia Rivenbark. On my nightstand stack awaits The Elegance of the Hedgehog, and Lemuria Books just delivered my signed copy of Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova.

Is it any wonder I'm X-ing off the calendar days until my summer vacation begins? I may not catch up then, but I can assure you, I'll make a valiant effort.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Laurie Kolp said...

I didn't like grading papers much either, but always found time to read...especially in the summer.

Check out my blog and you will find the "Beautiful Blogger" award I gave you.

~Laurie