Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Absolutely True Diary

I know I mentioned Sherman Alexie's novel The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian shortly after I finished listening to it on CD. Read by the author, it was one of the most moving, enjoyable books I'd heard in awhile. I didn't know (because I hadn't researched Alexie) that the book is actually semi-autobiographical.

Kay McSpadden, a South Carolina high school English teacher who writes for the Charlotte Observer, published a column this week about the book, specifically the censorship challenges involving the book recently. Follow this link if you'd like to read more:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/406/story/537064.html. In fact, I also recommend anything McSpadden writes. A little over a year ago, she published a collection of her columns called Notes From a Classroom: Reflections on Teaching, which I recommend especially for anyone who's spent time in high school.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: