Sunday, November 9, 2008

Can't Help Myself

While I'm in Washington,D.C., with our Holocaust class group, I've also been able to do some sightseeing here in the Capital. I've been to the city a couple of times before, but there' no way to do it justice in a few days. Today, I went to the Eastern Market, an area that reminded me of the Portobello Market in London. We had a wonderful breakfast at a little restaurant called Bread and Chocolate, two of us opting to split two different choices, both with German names. We learned as the waitress brought our check that this is the last day the restaurant will be operating, since they lost their lease. What a shame!

The food market was picturesque--breads, pastries, fruits, cheeses, and fresh meats and seafood of all kinds. There was a little old man wearing a tee shirt which read (on the back) something like "Meat is Murder! Ban Hunting." I tried to snap a picture with the shirt caption as he shopped for--you guessed it--meat!

The little shops of the vendors were a draw, especially with Christmas near. I was particularly interested in the photographers. I picked up several cards because I knew I couldn't fit much else in my luggage for the return trip. Of course, I found myself at a book stall. I was pointing out to Holly, who was with me, all the ones I had read, recommending the ones I thought she should buy. They had Ann Patchett's Bel Canto, one of my favorite novels, and I said so.

"She's from Nashville," the man selling the books said.

"Oh yes, I know," I replied, not missing a chance to weigh in.

I learned that he knew a guy who was a musician and a friend of Ann who invited him to dinner with the two of them. He had found her charming and quite self-assured.
Before the little stop was finished, I had talked Holly into buying three books (Bel Canto, The Things They Carried, and Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim--quite a variety) and I'd let the guy convince me to buy Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl. I did not need a new book, but I'm a pushover for someone who seems to love books as much as I do.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: