Sunday, August 17, 2008

Book Review


From time to time, I've had the opportunity to review books for the Sunday Charlotte Observer. Their book page is the first place I turn on Sunday, and they've moved it around enough over the years that sometimes it's quite a scavenger hunt. Today's issue runs the review I wrote for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. The book, written in letters back and forth between Juliet Ashton and her publisher, agent, best friend, and new-found correspondents on one of England's Channel Islands, was great fun. Ann Allen of the Observer sent this book my way for a review, and I sat and read it straight through. The book had many of the elements that I enjoy in a book. I want characters with whom I can identify--or at least characters I care about. I like a few surprises along the way; and I always like to learn some history. Before reading the book, for example, I wasn't aware that the Channel Islands were the only part of England occupied by German forces in World War II.

As the title implies, the book is at least in part a tribute to the way literature brings people together. It's much more than that. This is one of those books I'm ready to recommend to several of my favorite readers. Check out the review at the link below:


http://www.charlotteobserver.com/168/story/125273.html

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: