Sunday, September 21, 2008

I Told You So

You may recall my recommendation some weeks ago of a book I found particularly intriguing and memorable (although I always have to look up the author's spelling), The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. I've suggested it to all my biggest reading friends, and now I see the announcement that Oprah has picked it as her next book club selection. I immediately started receiving emails, acknowledging, sure enough, that I had beaten Oprah to the draw.

Years ago, when she first started making book recommendations, I suspected she was getting them from Amber Owens, a former student, now a friend and fellow bibliophile. She has been passing along title suggestions at least since she was in college. To be honest, her name's probably inside several volumes on my bookshelf now. ( Amber, if you're out there reading, you may have to visit North Carolina again to claim them.)

One of the greatest blessing in my life is the number of friends who love books the way I do. I don't have to wait for Oprah--or anyone else--to tell me what I should read next. I'm plugged in to the savviest readers in the country.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Amber O said...

Sounds like a good enough excuse for a road trip. :) I do need to come up your way again sometime. Next year, maybe, since I have just blown my vacation allowance for 2008!